Google
 
Web reubenyakobovich.blogspot.com

Friday, August 18, 2006

Liberty in the Face of War

Liberty in the Face of War

Yesterday's Federal Court ruling which agreed with the ACLU, that President Bush's terrorist surveillance program is unconstitutional, provides an instructive lesson on the meaning of liberty in the face of war.

As you can see from the description in this blog I consider myself a realistic libertarian. While unfettered liberty is a worthwhile ideal, I am realistic enough to know that true liberty cannot exist when one is under attack. I'd rather be a live realist than a dead idealist.

While Islamo-Fascists are attempting to fight a war against the US and the West in general, I believe that Libertarians as well as Left Wing groups like the ACLU should moderate their ideals and join the fight. Rather than doing the work of the enemy by watering down our defenses, I would rather see all freedom-loving groups support the war and the tactics being used to defend us.

I know that many will argue that the enemy wins when we give up our freedom. But I would argue that the enemy wins when we unwittingly aid and abet their efforts to kill us and impose their Islamo-Fascist society on us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home